nanog mailing list archives

Re: (OT) UN declares Internet access a "human right"

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 00:10:58 -0400

+1

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:33 AM, JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com> wrote:

There's a significant difference between Internet "access" and Internet
"service".  I have access to the roads.  But that doesn't magically get me
vehicular transportation from place A to place B.  I need to buy a bus
ticket, or buy a car and gasoline, in order to get service over these roads
to transport myself from place A to place B.

When the UN says that Internet access is a human right, they aren't saying
it should be provided for free, but they are saying that it should be
available (for those who can afford a service fee), and more importantly
that cutting it off for political purposes should be treated as a violation
of human rights of freedom of assembly and communication.  In the 1700s the
US revolution and subsequent state formation (the United States of America)
was created first by people assembling at public halls and private houses.
 In 2011, the Arab Spring revolutions have taken place by public assemblies
that were initially organized in internet forums (Facebook, Twitter, private
blogs, etc.).  I do not see anything wrong with the UN position on Internet
access.

jc

--
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com