nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Design question.

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:42:31 -0400

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Bret Palsson <bret () getjive com> wrote:
I am using OSPFv2 between the CERs and the Firewalls.
Failover works just fine, however when I fail an OSPF link
that has the active default route, ingress traffic still routes
fine and dandy, but egress traffic doesn't. Both Netiron's
OSPF are setup to advertise they are the default route.

Hi Bret,

I have a setup that is almost identical except there is a pair of
simple switches between the routers and firewalls interconnecting all
into a LAN and I'm working with Cisco 2811's instead of Netiron CERs.
Can you expand on the interface addressing and what the firewalls see
via OSPF during your failure scenario?

What I'm wondering is, if OSPF is the right solution for
this. How do others solve this problem?

My failover firewall also connects to the switches (inside and out)
and turns down ports which connect to the primary firewall. During a
failure, the primary can't be depended on to completely take itself
out of line. If it was in a working state that could be depended on,
it wouldn't have failed.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside comĀ  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004