nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:33:12 -0700

Paul Graydon wrote:
I've seen the stuff about adding a few extra TLDs, like XXX. I haven't seen any references until now of them considering doing it on a commercial basis. I don't mind new TLDs, but company ones are crazy and going to lead to a confusing and messy internet.

I don't know about you, but *I* really like to browse to http://google.google or https://yahoo.yahoo or http://microsoft.microsoft (or www.microsoft.microsoft, or www.com.microsoft, or...) instead of their .com equivalents. It makes perfect sense. Except I fear the extra characters transmitted may add to the global CO2 emmissions ;~C

In addition, from TFA:
""We're advising people to buy their brands, park them and redirect visitors to their existing site, at the very least," says Hnarakis, whose more than 3,500 customers include Volvo, Lego and GlaxoSmithKline."

I for one welcome the increased influx of money to registrars world wide and ICANN in particular. The more money goes to the "those who operate the c0re of the innernets" the more tools they have to improve it.

Forward we go, never look back.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--