nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:46:40 -0400

Two additional sticks for the fire:

I haven't got around to reading the Jun 14 NTIA
FNOI<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/frnotices/2011/FR_IANA_FurtherNOI_06102011.pdf>
but in his talk at INET NY <http://bit.ly/inetnyarchive> the same day Larry
Strickling talked about a major review of the IANA functions contract,
saying

Based on the input of the global Internet community, we are proposing the
following changes in the IANA functions contract. First, we propose a
functional separation between DNS policy making wherever it occurs at ICANN
or elsewhere in the actual execution of tasks associated with the IANA
functions.

Second, we propose enhanced transparency and accountability through the
development of documentation processes as well as performance standards and
metrics to establish service levels.

Third, we propose that the contractor needs to include documentation that
demonstrates how proposed new top level domain strings have received
consensus support from relevant stakeholders and are supported by the
global
public interest.

also, in the "whereas' section of the ICANN motion to approve the new gTLD
program <http://isoc-ny.org/icann41/06-20_singapore_gtld_vote.txt> - there
is language that would indicate that the Vertical Integration issue is far
from settled.

WHEREAS ICANN RECEIVED LETTERS FROM THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF
COMMERCE AND THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION ADDRESSING THE ISSUE OF
REGISTRY/REGISTRAR CROSS OWNERSHIP, AND THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE CONCERNS
EXPRESSED THEREIN. THE BOARD AGREES THAT THE POTENTIAL ABUSE OF SIGNIFICANT
MARKET POWER IS A SERIOUS CONCERN, AND DISCUSSIONS WITH COMPETITION
AUTHORITIES WILL CONTINUE.

--
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com