nanog mailing list archives

RE: unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 20:08:05 -0700

The failure rate isn't going to be high enough for natural selection
to take effect.  Remember the protocols we use were designed to
work back when there was only a single flat namespace.  Simple
hostnames will appear to work fine for 99.999% of people.  It's
just when you get namespace collisions that there will be problems.

I would guess that most of these are going to be purchased simply to
prevent someone else from getting them and that most of them will never
actually be placed into production.  So it will basically just be a cash
cow for ICANN while people pay their $185K/pop "application fee" to snap
up a piece of real estate they don't want anyone else to have.