nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:12:14 -0700

On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:
The IETF does not want operators in many steps of the process.  If
you try to bring up operational concerns in early protocol development
for example you'll often get a "we'll look at that later" response,
which in many cases is right.  Sometimes you just have to play with
something before you worry about the operational details.  It also

I really don't understand why that is right / good.  People get
personally invested in their project / spec, and not only that, vendor
people get their company's time and money invested in
proof-of-concept.  The longer something goes on with what may be
serious design flaws, the harder it is to get them fixed, simply
because of momentum.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could change the way that next-header works
in IPv6 now?  Or get rid of SLAAC and erase the RFCs recommending /80
and /64 from history?

No... I like SLAAC and find it useful in a number of places. What's wrong
with /64? Yes, we need better DOS protection in switches and routers
to accommodate some of the realities of those decisions, but, that's not
to say that SLAAC or /64s are bad. They're fine ideas with proper
protections.

I'm not sure about the /80 reference as I haven't encountered that
recommendation outside of some perverse ideas about point-to-point
links.

Owen