nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anybody can participate in the IETF (Was: Why is IPv6 broken?)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 02:57:37 -0400

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
On Jul 10, 2011, at 12:23 PM, William Herrin wrote:
Consider, for example, RFC 3484. That's the one that determines how an
IPv6 capable host selects which of a group of candidate IPv4 and IPv6
addresses for a particular host name gets priority. How is a server's
address priority NOT an issue that should be managed at an operations
level by individual server administrators? Yet the working group which
produced it came up with a static prioritization that is the root
cause of a significant portion of the IPv6 deployment headaches we
face.

3484 specifies a static default. By definition, defaults in absence of
operator configuration kind of have to be static. Having a reasonable
and expected set of defaults documented in an RFC provides a known
quantity for what operators can/should expect from hosts they have
not configured. I see nothing wrong with RFC 3484 other than I would
agree that the choices made were suboptimal. Mostly that was based
on optimism and a lack of experience available at the time of writing.

Hi Owen,

A more optimal answer would have been to make AAAA records more like
MX or SRV records -- with explicit priorities the clients are
encouraged to follow. I wasn't there but I'd be willing to bet there
was a lonely voice in the room saying, hey, this should be controlled
by the sysadmin. A lonely voice that got shouted down.

Today's RFC candidates are required to call out IANA considerations
and security considerations in special sections. They do so because
each of these areas has landmines that the majority of working groups
are ill equipped to consider on their own.

There should be an operations callout as well -- a section where
proposed operations defaults (as well as statics for which a solid
case can be made for an operations tunable) are extracted from the
thick of it and offered for operator scrutiny prior to publication of
the RFC.

I think this would be a good idea, actually. It would probably be more
effective to propose it to IETF than to NANOG, however.

If the complaint is that the IETF doesn't adequately listen to the
operations folk, then I think it makes sense to consult the operations
folks early and often on potential fixes. If folks here think it would
help, -that- is when I'll it to the IETF.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside comĀ  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004