nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast Bussiness Class and GRE Tunnels

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys () visp net lb>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:17:16 +0300

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:07:37 -0500, Nate Burke wrote:
Hello, I'm hoping that someone here might have run into a similar
issue and might be able to offer me some pointers.

Anyone with Insights or comments would be appreciated.
Mikrotik EOIP are not following standards, it is just their own hack, so it is very possible that some SPI in Comcast breaking it. Additionally some Mikrotik versions doesn't work properly with their own EOIP even, plus it has fragmentation issues. Fragmentation issues usually appears on large transfers, such as "stalling" sessions. I wrote my own implementation of Mikrotik EOIP for Linux, so i know what i am talking about, also in same code i wrote alternative tunnel, that has much less overhead than EOIP (compression + packets aggregation), but sure you need linux both side.

I can recommend you to try to use openvpn, if you are "Mikrotik only". At least it doesn't have fragmentation issues, as IPIP/GRE/PPTP has, and also it will run smoothly over NAT/SPI. Cons, that it is a bit more laggy, because it runs over TCP.

---
System administrator
Denys Fedoryshchenko
Virtual ISP S.A.L.