nanog mailing list archives

Re: high performance open source DHCP solution?

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () bfk de>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 10:59:44 +0000

* Jimmy Hess:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Nick Colton <ncolton () allophone net> wrote:
We were seeing similar issues with low leases, moved the dhcpd.leases file
to a ramdisk and went from ~200 leases per second to something like 8,000
leases per second.

Yes, blame RFC2131's requirement that a DHCP server is to ensure that
any lease is committed to persistent storage, strictly before a DHCP
server is allowed to send the response to the request; a fully
compliant DHCP server with sufficient traffic is bound by the disk I/O
rate of underlying storage backing its database.

Come on, group commits are not that difficult to implement.  With them,
you should be able to obtain 8 kHZ leases on a single spindle (assuming
the per-client data is just a few hundred bytes), without violating the
RFC requirement.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer () bfk de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

_____