nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Given what you know now, if you were 21 again...

From: Don Gould <don () bowenvale co nz>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:47:06 +1200

* OSI layers 1 to 3 - so CCNA, MCP (or something dumb MS like), RHCE
* Electrical eng - to best understand about the basics of copper and fibre. Also some focus on power systems - understand how a psu actually works! * wireless eng - you need to understand how a radio actually works, how an antenna actually works - do a course that involves building such - wokfy (google it!), tin can antennas.
* C and assembler programming

Yip, everything I'm talking about is low level and under well the bonnet.

Every other bit of crap can be thrown on top. Sure, you can become an AppleTalk expert... what happens if we stop using that protocol? You can become an Exchange expert... what happens if someone... well you get the idea.

HTH