nanog mailing list archives

Re: in defense of lisp (was: Anybody can participate in the IETF)

From: Fred Baker <fred () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:09:21 -0400

On Jul 13, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Scott Brim wrote:

Cameron: As for ILNP, it's going to be difficult to get from where
things are now to a world where ILNP is not just useless overhead.
When you finally do, considering what it gives you, will the journey
have been worth it?  LISP apparently has more benefits, and NPT6 is so
much easier -- particularly if you have rapid adaptation to apparent
address changes, which many apps have and all mobile devices need
already -- sorry but I don't think ILNP is going to make it.  You
can't just say "the IETF should pay more attention".  I've invited
people to promote it and nobody stepped up.

I think ILNP is a great solution. My concern with it is that the needed changes to TCP and UDP are not likely to happen.