nanog mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with Comcast Ethernet

From: Bret Clark <bclark () spectraaccess com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:39:40 -0500

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Dylan Ebner<dylan.ebner () crlmed com>  wrote:
My company has about 2 dozen Comcast business cable accounts at satellite offices around the Midwest. We are looking at adding an
additional ISP to the mix and we are thinking of purchasing an Ethernet circuit from Comcast in an attempt to increase performance on those
connections by keeping all the traffic within Comcast's network.  Comcast, of course, has assured us this will result in
"noticeable" speed increases for those accounts. I am more weary. Does anyone have any experience with Comcast's ethernet
offerings? How reliable are they? Do Comcast cable connections see a significant performance improvement?

Dylan Ebner, Network Engineer

It will only help if the performance issues are related to the Comcast Internet peering connections, otherwise you'll see no difference if the issues are related to congestion occurring on the coax connections from the optical nodes that services each coax feed through neighborhoods and business. This is simple over-utilization that (at least in our neck of the woods) is becoming more and more a problem as Comcast saturates there networks with too many connections...there is only so much bandwidth a coax line can handle! I suspect your performance issues are related to the latter.
Bret