nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 - real vs theoretical problems

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:15:58 -0600

On 1/11/2011 1:05 PM, George Bonser wrote:
Many of us are looking at things from today's
perspective.  Maybe each room of my house will have its own subnet with
a low power access point and I can find which room something is in by
the IP address it has.

Today, there are several vendors who believe the wireless part of their cpe should be a different subnet than the ethernet. There are multiple cases of stacked routers in homes, which requires multiple DHCPv6-PD delegations, and the current philosophy is very wasteful (as DHCPv6 itself doesn't support variable sized requests, chained requesting, and other options which would make it efficient for a requesting router 3 routers away from the initial DHCPv6 server).

Jack