nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet to Tunisia

From: Simon Waters <simonw () zynet net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:17:19 +0000

On Tuesday 11 January 2011 14:58:51 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On twitter right now there are frequent claims that all https is blocked
(presumably a port blocking).

A quick search pulls up.
http://www.cpj.org/internet/2011/01/tunisia-invades-censors-facebook-other-accounts.php

Since Gmail defaults to HTTPS, and many other sites left to their own devices,
it is necessary for an attacker to try and force clients to use HTTP or start
conversation using HTTP (so that no one notices when the important bit isn't
encrypted, or to enable javascript from a third part to be injected).

NoScript for Firefox has a force HTTPS for a domain feature.
http://noscript.net/faq#qa6_3

But what clients really need is a way for servers to say "always use
encryption".
http://noscript.net/faq#STS

Of course when it gets to the level of countries, it is quite plausible your
browser may already trust a certificate authority under their jurisdiction so
all bets are off.

I think I'm saying HTTPS doesn't quite hack it in browsers yet, but it will
be "secure enough" real soon now.