nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 - real vs theoretical problems

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 22:11:29 -0800

On Jan 6, 2011, at 8:58 PM, Jima wrote:

On 1/6/2011 4:47 PM, Grant Phillips wrote:
I acknowledge and see the point made. There is a lot of dead space in the
IPv6 world. Are we allowing history to repeat it self? Well i'm swaying more
to no.

Have you read this RFC? This is pretty satisfying in making me feel more
comfortable assigning out /48 and /64's. I can sleep at night now! :P

http://tools.ietf.org/html//rfc3177

I can't tell if you're trolling, or if you didn't get the memo from Monday.  I guess I'll lean toward the latter.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/v6ops/current/msg06820.html

    Jima

That's a draft, and, it doesn't really eliminate the idea that /48s are generally
a good thing so much as it recognizes that there might be SOME circumstances
in which they are either not necessary or insufficient.

As a draft, it hasn't been through the full process and shouldn't be considered
to have the same weight as an RFC.

While it intends to obsolete RFC-3177, it doesn't obsolete it yet and, indeed, may
never do so.

Owen