nanog mailing list archives

Re: AltDB?

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 20:21:03 -1000

On Jan 5, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
i have a rumor that arin is delaying and possibly not doing rpki that
seems to have been announced on the ppml list (to which i do not
subscribe).

I heard about the delay, but not about ARIN possibly not doing RPKI. That would be ... surprising.  While I have always
had some questions regarding the political (not technical) feasibility of actually deploying secure routing based on
the top-down hierarchical model assumed by RPKI, it seems obvious to me that there needs to be a better way to
authenticate allocation data other than querying a whois server.  RPKI will (would have?) provided this and the actual
deployment of RPKI would allow the ops community to gain experience with the technology.

as it has impact on routing, not address policy, across
north america and, in fact the globe, one would think it would be
announced and discussed a bit more openly and widely.

The definition of what comes under the "public policy mailing list" umbrella has always been a bit confusing to me.
Too bad something like the APNIC SIGs and RIPE Working Groups don't really exist in the ARIN region.

Regards,
-drc