nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:49:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Jeremy wrote:

Has there been any discussion about allocating the Class E blocks? If this
doesn't count as "future use" what does? (Yes, I realize this doesn't *fix*
the problem here)

I think it has been discussed at various levels, but would likely have been dismissed for one or more of the following reasons: 1. A lot of people filter packets and/or prefixes 224/3 or 240/4 out of habit, right, wrong, or otherwise, so space from 240/4 is likely to have lots of reachability problems.

2. The effort expended by people to solve reachability problems from space they'd get out of 240/4 would be better put toward moving to v6.

3. Busting out 16 more /8s only delays the IPv4 endgame by about a year.

jms