nanog mailing list archives

Re: Strange L2 failure

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 21:05:58 -0600

On 1/29/2011 8:47 PM, ML wrote:
I just ran into something like this yesterday. A Belkin router with a MAC of 9444.52dc.XXXX was properly learned at the IDF switch but the upstream agg switch/router wouldn't learn it. I even tried to static the MAC into the CAM..router refused.

That's what really tripped me out, was that the router actually did place an ARP entry and pretended like everything should be working. Scheduling some more direct tests with packet sniffers next week when I get back in the office.

I'm curious now if IOS has the issue or the line card, so we'll test off different cards direct and monitor results.

Jack