nanog mailing list archives

Re: Clearwire/Clear for branch office connectivity?

From: Mike Sawicki <fifi () hax Org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:28:11 -0500

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 04:15:43PM -0600, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
Is anyone using Clearwire/Clear's wireless broadband offering for stationary
branch offices/remote equipment monitoring? Looking for results/experiences
off-list. We're looking at it for industrial telemetry, and have spoken to
people using ATT and VZW who are doing the same, but we wanted to look at
Clear as well. Curious as to reliability, link performance, and support
quality.

I replaced a 3mbps/768kbps ADSL provisioned through Qwest with Clearwire's
home offering.  I've been mostly satisfied from a cost/performance
standpoint - for $55/mo I get a mostly equal replacement for the DSL
as well as service for a second usb dongle for my laptop.    I've had to
go through an uncomfortable process with their support people on two
occasions when their service was booting me off every 3-10 mins.  Turns out
somehow my home address changed in their system and they decided to treat
my home modem as a traveling modem.  As others have stated they seemed aloof
and lacked access to more than a script and basic tools for troubleshooting.

Service has been mostly reliable for me in the Seattle area.  Transfer
rates are sufficient.

-m