nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 01:09:43 -0300

On 26/01/2011 06:14 a.m., Owen DeLong wrote:
That said.  Any size prefix will likely work and is even permitted by
the RFC.  You do run the risk of encountering applications that assume
a 64-bit prefix length, though.  And you're often crippling the
advantages of IPv6.

Just curious: What are the advantages you're referring to?

1.    Sparse addressing

This comes at a cost, though.

2.    SLAAC
3.    RFC 4193 Privacy Addressing

Privacy Extensions "solve" (*) a privacy issue *introduced* by SLAAC
embedding the MAC addresses in the IID. -- So, if anything, I deem this
as a patch, rather than a feature.

(*) there is some bibliography about the effectiveness of privacy
addresses. Some have even argued that they are harmful.

4.    Never have to worry about "growing" a subnet to hold new machines.

As in #1, this comes at a price.

5.    Universal subnet size, no surprises, no operator confusion, no bitmath.

With quite a bit of experience with subnetting (from IPv4), I doubt this
can be flagged as a benefit.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org