nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:49:13 +0700

On Jan 26, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

The correct assumption is that most people will try and usually succeed at follow the specifications, as that is what
is required to
successfully participate in a protocol (any protocol, not just networking ones). IPv4 history has shown that most
people will.

Specification <> application, as in new applications.

And, no, I don't think that 'most people will' - I've seen enough foolishness with regards to IPv4 misaddressing over
the last quarter-century (pre- and post-CIDR) to share your optimism in that regard.

;>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

Most software today is very much like an Egyptian pyramid, with millions
of bricks piled on top of each other, with no structural integrity, but
just done by brute force and thousands of slaves.

                          -- Alan Kay