nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:00:52 -0300

On 24/01/2011 08:42 p.m., Douglas Otis wrote:

It seems efforts related to IP address specific policies are likely
doomed by the sheer size of the address space, and to be pedantic, ARP
has been replaced with multicast neighbor discovery which dramatically
reduces the overall traffic involved.

This has nothing to do with the number of entries required in the
Neighbor Cache.

Secondly, doesn't Secure Neighbor
Discovery implemented at layer 2 fully mitigate these issues?  I too
would be interested in hearing from Radia and Fred.

It need not. Also, think about actual deployment of SEND: for instance,
last time I checked Windows Vista didn't support it.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () acm org