nanog mailing list archives

Re: WebServer and Firewall Help

From: John Mason Jr <john.mason.jr () cox net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:39:39 -0500

On 2/8/2011 7:21 AM, William Warren wrote:
On 2/7/2011 1:23 PM, Joshua William Klubi wrote:
Hi,

I run a web-server based on ubuntu server and the LAMP stack.
I used Ubuntu's UFW firewall model and have enabled only Web and SSH ports.
Namely port 80 and port 22 only.

Unfortunately once a while some guys get to inject some content onto our web
pages.

Now managements are looking at getting a well proven infrastructure to
counter that.
But I also think i can fall on this community to help me get the right stuff
done. Where
i can protect the server from such attack.

I want to know what measure i can do on the server to get it protected which
mysql protection
I should implement. since i can see that it might be a php or mysql
injection that is been used.

Currently I run these security measures on it.
Ubuntu UFW
Fail2ban
PHP model security
Apache security

Joshua
the problem may not be your operating system but the web application running. what web application/s are on that box?

Might also take a look at

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Top_Ten_Project

John