nanog mailing list archives

Re: And so it ends...

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:07:18 -0600

On 2/5/2011 4:53 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
*Since ARIN policy at the current time requires specified transfers be
made through ARIN,
and  the recipient of address has to meet a utilization criterion.
No ad-hoc transfers would seem to be allowed by current ARIN policies,
except non-permanent reassignments.

I think ARIN's stance is they can update whois and issue reallocations/assignment information into whois based on their Legacy status. If they want to permanently give their space to someone else, documentation wise, the most they can do is allocate the entire space to the other person. They are still considered the primary holder and the only thing that makes it "permanent" is the contract signed between them and the other party.

Given the reallocation, I'm sure the receiving party also can update whois.

Jack