nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Dave Israel <davei () otd com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:44:40 -0500

On 2/1/2011 3:32 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 1 feb 2011, at 21:03, Dave Israel wrote:

People want to engineer their networks they way they want to.  Let them.  If their way is stupid, then they'll have the
stupidly engineered network they wanted.
The problem is that their stupidity impacts ME. If I want to talk to Microsoft from behind a<  1500 byte MTU link: too
bad, not going to happen. They stupidly send packets with DF=1 but filter incoming packet too big messages.

So I'm all in favor of the IETF blocking stupidity whenever possible.

I completely agree that, when interoperating, you have to follow the rules, and I would (naively) hope that "customers cannot reach me because of my configuration choice" is sufficient incentive to fix the problem for the majority of network operators. But what I am arguing against was the stance some people take against DHCPv6, or prefix lengths longer than /64, or other internal-to-my-network, why-should-you-care choices I might make. Telling me it is dumb is fine; implementing software/hardware/protocols such that I can't do it simply because you think it is dumb is a problem.

-Dave