nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:43:35 -0800

On 2/28/11 9:34 PM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

On Mar 1, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

That's new, and (to my mind) threatening.  We've not even begun to
consider the attack vectors that'll open up.

given that rfc 3041 had it's 10th birthday in january there's nothing
new about any of this.

I don't think it's new at all, given the amount of information
available today that you already cite, down to and including sniffing
on toxic hotel networks and the like.

Folks are already easily pwn3d to extremes - look at HB Gary.  This
doesn't constitute some huge new attack surface or information
leakage - especially given the existence of VPNs/proxies, the
tendency to store more and more data/apps on servers/in 'the cloud',
and so forth.

In fact, the device one is actually using at any given moment and
where one is located when using said device is becoming less and less
relevant.

From a physical-security standpoint, leaky IM, SMTP headers, et.
al. already give the game away.

We've been living in this situation for years.  Nothing about EUI-64
changes this fact, IMHO.  I dislike it immensely, but it isn't a
game-changer, IMHO.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

-- Oscar Wilde