nanog mailing list archives

Re: What vexes VoIP users?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:25:19 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen DeLong" <owen () delong com>

TTBOMK, that isn't *quite* true, yet, Owen.

The only US carrier with LTE deployed is VZW, and their only
*handset* with LTE is the not-yet-quite-shipped HTC Thunderbolt...

That's the US market. We are, as usual, traditionally well behind the
rest of the world.

and it is my understanding that their first generation release of
handsets will
*not* be doing PSTN voice as VoIP over the LTE data connection;
they'll be
dual-mode handsets, using traditional (IS-95? IS-136?) CDMA voice on
separate RF deck. The two reasons I've heard have to do with battery
life
and the immaturity of the protocol stack or its implementations.

Sad. There are definitely LTE-data-only VOIP handsets in other
deployments.

Of course.  Silly me.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra