nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mac OS X 10.7, still no DHCPv6

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 21:46:17 -0800

On 2/26/11 9:27 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

On 2/26/11 9:05 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
With copies out to developers we now have confirmation that Apple
still hasn't included DHCPv6 in the next release of OS X.

what is it about ipv6 which attracts religious nuts?

you sure it's not macos (says joel from a v6 enabled mac).

On a more serious note, I can on my Ubuntu machine just "apt-get install
wide-dhcpv6-client" and I get dhcpv6, it'll properly put stuff in
resolv.conf for dns-over-ipv6 transport, even though the connection
manager knows nothing about it, at least dual stack works properly.

Can one do the equivalent easy addition to OSX?

You can, the actual integration issue is that network mangler (on
ubuntu/fedora etal) and the osX airport connection manager will give up
on a subnet on which they can't obtain an ipv4 address in prefernce to
one where they can... this can also be worked around but it makes
v6-only operation (Assuming that were desired, or even a good idea at
this point) something that the majority of the users wouldn't be able to
achive without the default behavior changing.