nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon MPLS service in Anchorage

From: Brandon Ross <bross () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 10:01:00 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, lists lists wrote:

I'm seeing that packets marked as DSCP EF are given fantastic treatment (low
jitter, no packet loss), but other packets, including AF41, AF31, and BE are
given what appears to be the "junk bucket" treatment.

Hah, just a few days ago I spoke with an "engineer" at VZ that tried to claim that each of the treatments were different, but that they only charged extra for EF. I asked why I shouldn't just put all my traffic in the highest "free" treatment and beat out all the other customers for the best treatment for mine. He told me that "most of his customers weren't trying to get their traffic through at the expense of other customers".

Anyway, despite what their "engineers" say, only EF is actually treated on the VZ network better than BE, the rest are just to prioritize traffic at your own egress port.

--
Brandon Ross                                              AIM:  BrandonNRoss
                                                               ICQ:  2269442