nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:52:55 +1100

In message <5F90644C-5457-460F-9BC3-70802B13A270 () delong com>, Owen DeLong write
s:

Cisco is just one example.  The fact is it will likely not work in
cell phones, home gateways, windows PCs, Mac's, ....  I understand
some progress has been made... but choose your scope wisely and pick
your battles and know that the weight of the world is against you
(cisco and msft)

I don't think I had general usage in mind, more along the lines of the
"middle 4" in NAT444 that will be rolled out in many networks to
conserve IP space.

Infeasible. NAT444 is primarily needed to avoid doing a CPE forklift
for nearly every subscriber. To deploy these addresses in that space would
require a CPE forklift for nearly every subscriber.

Firstly it is entirely possible to do this incrementally.  Secondly
it doesn't require a fork lift upgrade.  A minimal upgrade is all
that is required.  For modern Linux boxes just setting a DHCP option
would be enough.  A two line fix in a config file.

@George

Please don't speculating on when Cisco or Microsoft will support 240/4
on this list.  Ask your account rep, then report back with facts.
Arm-chair engineering accounts for too many emails on this list.

The usage I have in mind would be transparent to the end stations and,
frankly, someone who produces provider gear and CPE that can take
advantage of that space is going to have a great selling point.  There
is some gold under there for someone.  240/4 is a great big "dig here"
sign if they want some of it.

Maybe, but, CPE is rarely a unified solution, even within the same carrier.

Owen
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org