nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 is on the marketers radar

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 08:33:14 +1100

In message <000901cbcb22$3cf978a0$b6ec69e0$@org>, "Lee Howard" writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: Geert Bosch [mailto:bosch () adacore com]

Honestly, I can't quite see the big deal for home users. I'm using
an Apple Airport Extreme, and setting it up with a IPv6 tunnel from

$150?  That's a high-powered device compared to most home gateways.

HE was quite straightforward. Sure, I don't expect the average user
to go through these steps, but they could easily be automated and
rolled out as part of a firmware update (which is a routine matter

Yes, if the ISP provided the gateway.  In many markets, they don't.
Even if they start now, they would have to convince every customer
to swap routers.  And find the capital to pay for them.  And have a
system for updating the firmware and configurations of those
devices.  Or maybe the customer's going to have to buy a new
gateway, when the one they have is still functioning,  and might
even be brand new.

the foreseeable future, people will have (NATed or not) IPv4
connectivity, so content providers are fine without IPv6.

Depends on the content.  Large-scale NAT is bad for you if you
depend on IP geo-location, or use anti-DDOS measures to limit
number of connections or bits from a single IP address, or use
IP address to report abuse, or blacklist IP addresses, or log the
user's IP address, or try to enforce copyright by reporting IP
addresses of violators, or rate-limit outbound data per address,
or record unique visitors by IP address.
It might also increase latency, but probably not so much that
you'd panic.

And a lot of that depends upon how you implement LSN.
* LSN per pop or a uber mega LSN?
* How many customers per address? 2 or 200?

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org