nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:37:07 -0800

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se> wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Thomas Habets wrote:

Really.

Exactly. Can we PLEASE kill the myth that Android and iPhone has IPv6
support for mobile side. PLEASE. None do, and there are no publically
available roadmaps when this might happen on either OSes.

There are exactly two types of devices (afaik) that support IPv6 for mobile,
and that's Nokia phones using Symbian and Maemo (afaik only N900).

No other vendor has any IPv6 mobile side support, and even though Microsoft
did the right thing for IPv6 on Vista and Win7, they've dropped the ball on
Windows Phone 7 and have no IPv6 support there. I was very disappointed when
I learnt that fact. I've been told it's to some extent a Qualcomm baseband
issue. There are also no USB dongles with IPv6 support that I am aware of.

I completely agree with this note from Mikael, but as Joel pointed out
and I have confirmed before, Verizon Wireless does have dual-stack USB
sticks for LTE.   But it is only working on their itty bitty LTE
network ... LTE is still developing a market and the economies of
scale are not there, so things like this happen where small supply
exceeds the growing demand.  I believe the chipset cost for LTE are
around $100 while they are $15 for HSPA ... (foggy memory)

But, LTE is not the issue here.  GSM/UMTS/HSPA+ all support IPv6 just
as well as LTE.  The issue is mobile OSs don't support IPv6 aside from
Nokia.

Mikael and I both have 3G networks with demonstrated IPv6
capabilities, perhaps people should request Google drive Android IPv6
support.  Please point your IPv6 interest here
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3389 and comment and
try and drive the IPv6 support for mobile into Android.

Cameron

This means that the incentive for mobile operators to support IPv6 is very
close to zero even though a lot of them could do it fairly easily.

I have native IPv6 in my Nokia N900, it works just fine within "my" own
network, ie without roaming.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se