nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:37:12 -0600

On 2/9/2011 3:50 PM, Scott Helms wrote:
The smaller telcos are almost universally doing NAT as well providers
like Alltel, Centurytel, Frontier, Finepoint, as well as the smaller
ILEC's simply don't do bridging on their CPE gear since they seldom had
their DSLAMs set up to deal with Q-in-Q or isolation methods.  That's
not to say I don't know some that are the exception since I do know of a
few telcos that run PPPoE clients on the client PC and a handful that
did get port isolation working but they are not the norm in the US.

Yeah, but CPE NAT with uPNP and other protocols is a far cry from LSN. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that over 90% of my network is bridged (even have some cpe's bridging 802.11 in, which really through the vendors for a loop, but they did it). However, LSN doesn't have a lot of the capabilities that CPEs have for dealing with NAT breakage.

Jack