nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 - a noobs prespective

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 13:37:31 -0500

From: "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us>
The thing that terrifies me about deploying IPv6 is that apps
compatible with both are programmed to attempt IPv6 before IPv4.
[...] is going to break again. And again. And again.

This is dual stack, my recommendation is disable
IPv6 on your servers (so your clients will still talk to
them on IPv4 only), and let your client goes IPv6 first.
Once you understand what is happening, get on IPv6
on your servers.

That advice reminds me of a limerick I once heard:

A host is a host
From coast to coast
And nobody talks to a host that's close
Unless the host that isn't close
Is busy, hung or dead.

Thanks, but it doesn't really speak to the problem I fear.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside comĀ  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004