nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

From: Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:54:04 GMT

 <facts deleted>

Second, publishing specifications, implementing them and waiting for
users to adopt them takes a very, very long time. For DHCPv6 support,
the time from first publication (2003) until wide availability (2011)
has been 8 years. Are we ready to live in a half-baked world for
another half a decade or more just so we can add this feature

enterprise:

  "but you want us to do v6 today, why didn't you put it in
   when there was time then. Let us know when it's ready, ktnxbye"

I would like to make the following suggestion: rather than having
DHCPv6 impose a default gateway with all the issues that that
creates, why not implement a router preference option. This way,
DHCPv6 can be used to select the "correct" default gateway from
the list of possible default gateways that announce their presence
through RAs

sounds like the which half of the baby would you like option.

I don't have a dog in this fight but understand the dhcp only option
is so the dhcp guys manage * and don't have to talk to the router
guys other than to tell them to fix the router when it breaks.

brandon