nanog mailing list archives

Re: what if...?

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () rancid berkeley edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:46:11 -0800

On 12/20/11 09:31, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:16:06 GMT, bmanning () vacation karoshi com said:

        the one difference is that ISC will be shipping RPZ enabled code v.
        the blackhat having to hack the machine and modify the configuration.

EIther way, the blackhat still has to hack the machine and modify the config.
The only difference is what config change they make.

Yes and...

If you have a really insecure DDNS update mechanism on your master RPZ zone, then I can see how RPZ might lower the bar *a little*, but I have to stretch my imagination quite a bit for that to happen.

If your ISP doesn't use RPZ (regardless of whether the code is present in BIND), then the bad guy has to hack the box, set up an RPZ configuration, and then pollute it with bad data. Much easier to just install a bunch of fake zones.

RPZ is a red herring here.

michael