nanog mailing list archives

Re: De-bogon not possible via arin policy.

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:36:32 -0800

On Dec 15, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Ricky Beam wrote:
Because it's not ARIN's job to clean up someone else's stupid.

ARIN's job (well, beyond the world travel, publishing comic books, handing out raffle prizes, etc.) is to allocate and
register addresses according to community-defined documented policies. I had thought new allocations are based on
demonstrated need. The fact that addresses are in use would seem to suggest they're needed. As I've said, I haven't
been following ARIN's policy discussions -- can you point me to the policy that says allocations can be denied because
you happened to have (demonstrably ill-advisedly) used the wrong bit patterns in setting up your network?

Thanks,
-drc