nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:01:26 +1100

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 05:55:23PM -0600, Robert Bonomi wrote:

 "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com> wrote:

Apologies for the rapid-shot email.  It's Friday...  :-)

bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 04:35:27PM -0500, David Radcliffe wrote:
The reason it is not more accepted is too many people still think "If I
cannot see you you must not be working."

    actually, i've heard the real reason is corporate liability ...
    that said, there is an advantage for team f2f mtgs on a periodic
    basis.

I don't follow.  Could you elaborate?  What is the liability?

I don't know for certain, but I expect "work at home' employeees fall under
the scope of the employers "Workmans Compenstation" liability covrerage,
with regard to injuries sustained "on the job".

"There are those who say this has already happened"

http://www.news.com.au/business/telstra-forced-to-pay-costs-compensation-after-worker-dale-hargreaves-slips-while-working-at-home/story-e6frfm1i-1226081649913

Now, I'm sure the facts of the matter haven't gotten in the way of the story
there, but I'm struggling to come up with a set of circumstances which
*don't* involve an application of palm to face.

- Matt

--
You know you have a distributed system when the crash of a computer you’ve
never heard of stops you from getting any work done.