nanog mailing list archives

Re: East Coast Earthquake 8-23-2011

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:17:08 -0700

On 8/24/11 6:44 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Aug 24, 2011, at 8:55 AM, JC Dill wrote:
On 23/08/11 3:13 PM, William Herrin wrote:
A. Our structures aren't built to seismic zone standards. Our
construction workers aren't familiar with*how*  to build to seismic
zone standards. We don't secure equipment inside our buildings to
seismic zone standards.

They should be.
They should be.
You should.

Earthquakes can happen anywhere.  There's no excuse to fail to build/secure to earthquake standards.

Tornados can happen anywhere, there's no excuse to fail to build/secure for tornados.

[Etc.]

Things that cost money are not done unless the probability of the danger is higher than vanishingly small.  This
temblor - at 5.8 with no injuries or fatalities - was the largest earthquake on the entire east coast in 67 years,
and the largest in VA in well over a century.  Think of the _trillions_ of dollars which could have been put into
healthcare, public safety, hell, better networking equipment :) we could have used instead of making all buildings on
the east coast earthquake safe.

I'll scratch "no earthquakes" off the list of benefits for the east
coast over the west coast. ;)

~Seth