nanog mailing list archives

RE: How long is your rack?

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:33:12 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Irvine [mailto:sparctacus () gmail com]
Sent: 15 August 2011 17:42
To: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: How long is your rack?

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
<lyndon () orthanc ca> wrote:
I hope someone will explain the operational relevance
of this ...

Sun V100         FreeBSD firewall/border gateway
Sun V100         Plan 9 kernel porting test bed
Sun V100         OpenBSD build/test/port box
Intel 8-core     Solaris fileserver and zones host
AMDx4            Random OS workstation crash box
Epia-EK          Plan 9 terminal
MacBook x        Snow Leopard build/test host
Intel-mumble-ITX Win2K8.2 development host
Supermicro XLS7A Plan 9 File server
Supermicro XLS7A Plan 9 CPU/Auth server
Sun V100         Oracle (blech) new-Solaris test/porting box
Sun V100         crashbox for *BSD firewall failover tests
Sun V100         *BSD ham radio stuff, plus Plan9 terminal
                kernal testing.

OK, you've piqued my interest.  What use have you found for Plan 9?

How do you guys find time for all this? I used to have a couple of racks of boxes in the basement, then I got married,
had three kids and started a Theology PhD program.. Now anything I do at home is purely practical.

I took on some ideas for backup though, so I am sorting out a backblaze account and using Randy's fantastic sync thing
that he mentioned. I really do not want 18 months of research to vanish.

--
Leigh Porter