nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG Digest, Vol 43, Issue 53

From: Coy Hile <coy.hile () coyhile com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:52:12 +0000

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 20:49:48 -0400
From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () corp nac net>
I am in the process of building a house. I designed a room that can accommodate three 24 x 36 inch cabinets or four
post racks. I will likely install a APC 2200 watt UPS in the bottom of two of the racks, and the third will be a
cross-connect field, patch panels, etc.

The room will have a small, ductless ac unit, maybe a ton or a little more, which should be good for about 3 to 5 kw
of load.

The house is backed up by a 48 kw genset with an auto transfer switch.

The weakness will be only one provider of connectivity.

Damn, and people claim I'm nuts!

You know, you could go whole hog and multihome.

I've got 1 cabinet and 1 two-post rack in the basement.  I'm also
building out a small patch panel in a closet on the second floor.

That way, I don't have to do so many home-runs from the wall ports in
the living spaces back down to the basement.

-Coy