nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 end user addressing

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 18:29:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Brian Mengel wrote:

In reviewing IPv6 end user allocation policies, I can find little
agreement on what prefix length is appropriate for residential end
users.  /64 and /56 seem to be the favorite candidates, with /56 being
slightly preferred.

Not slightly preferred, very much preferred. /56 is future proof and works for "everybody". /64 is short sighted and doesn't allow for multiple networks in the home.

I am most curious as to why a /60 prefix is not considered when trying
to address this problem.  It provides 16 /64 subnetworks, which seems
like an adequate amount for an end user.

Why save on addresses, you can just get more IPv6 addresses if you need them. /56 is allowed per user from all the RIRs afaik.

Does anyone have opinions on the BCP for end user addressing in IPv6?

Yes, there are plenty of people with opinions.

This has been hashed over and over and over again, please check the archives for lots of discussions on pros an cons. If you want to do it right, go for /56, it works.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se