nanog mailing list archives

RE: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:15:42 -0700

Imagine: multicast internet radio! Awesome!

That would, indeed, be awesome; when everyone in my office was
listening to
the royal wedding, there would be a *much* higher chance of them all
being
in sync.

Cheers,
-- jra

Exactly.  If more people/networks took advantage of multicast, it would greatly reduce the bandwidth requirements,
particularly for live events.  If there were 50 people listening to a popular radio show or watching a live TV event in
your office, for example, there would be only one feed crossing the wire into your office.  And only one feed crossing
into your provider's network.

I have *no* idea why applications developers have not been more interested in this, particularly with radio and
television stations providing live streams on the net.  It is absolutely a waste of resources to have a separate stream
for each listener of a live event.

The mobile networks are more up to speed in this regard.  Verizon Vcast is probably the largest implementation that I
know of.