nanog mailing list archives

Re: How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:37:04 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>

Internet engineers are prone to try to solve this problem in favor of
the viewer, and their networks -- with their networks winning in case
of a push.

Should be easy enough on your subscriber ports to use igmp to see who
has subscribed to which groups, shouldn't it? Just log igmp changes
and there's your accounting.

You've conflated my two points.  That would tell the *carriers* who's watching
what, but they probably don't care.  I was talking about *the providers*
knowing (think DRM and "3096 viewers online").

Cheers,
-- jra