nanog mailing list archives

Re: VPN over slow Internet connections

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:11:13 -0700

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Well, 33.6k is a Bad Idea right there. :)  But if you're stuck with that
for technical reasons, but need a VPN for security reasons, it won't
be all *that* much worse, unless you're doing a lot of SSH or similar

I would think so too. When I first moved to the States I lived in rural Oregon and used an (attempted) always on dialup for years. I could mostly get a steady 56K connection, except when there was a nest of mice in the local phone exchange/switch/box thing (whatever they're called) or a tree fell in the wrong place or it rained for weeks. Then it would be a tad slower (the fallen tree would only cause an electricity outage ;-) the phoneline often was still fine), but never go below 33.6K. Though the mice were annoying in causing a disconnect every half hour or so.

Anyways, at 56K speeds 3/4 of the time and I could stream low bandwidth real audio radio and do some browsing all at the same time whilst chatting. So going from that I would say that a 33.6K connection dedicated to just VPN connectivity would work fine for things such as sql queries.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/