nanog mailing list archives

RE: Bandwidth Growth

From: "Sameer Khosla" <skhosla () neutraldata com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:09:31 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Curran, David [mailto:David.Curran () windstream com]

The LINX, TORIX, and SIX graphs provided earlier, for example, seem
relatively flat until the Nov. timeframe at which point they seem to
seek
a new higher "normal".  Could just be my lack of sleep and my biased
opinion though.  As one might infer, I'm trying to find evidence
corroborating my own experiences.  My theory being that all of those
cool
Internet connected toys (Blue Ray, TVs, Ipads, etc) that hit the
market
this past year have lead to a substantial increase in residential
Internet
traffic.  If that were true, I guess I'd expect that enterprise
oriented
service providers would not see the same uptick as residential
providers.

Thanks again to all have responded (and anyone else that might still).

David

David, you may also want to try to correlate the addition of
participants to the peering fabric to bandwidth growth.  I know TorIX
shows on their main page the date when new participants joined the
exchange.

http://www.torix.net/

For example, Microsoft jointed on 9/3/10.  You may be able to see a rise
in usage shortly after.

Thanks
Sameer