nanog mailing list archives

RE: State of QoS peering in Nanog

From: "Stefan Fouant" <sfouant () shortestpathfirst net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 12:40:14 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Bicknell [mailto:bicknell () ufp org]
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 5:56 PM

In an IP network, the bandwidth constraints are almost always across an
administrative boundary.  This means in the majority of the case across
transit circuits, not peering.  80-90% of the packet loss in the
network happens at the end user access port, inbound or outbound.
Another 5-10% occurs where regional or non-transit free providers buy
transit.  Lastly, 3-5% occurs where there are geographic or
geopolitical issues (oceans to cross, country boarders with restrictive
governments to cross).

Hi Leo,

I think you bring up some interesting points here, and my experience and
observations largely lend credence to what you are saying.  I'd like to know
however, just for my own personal knowledge, are the numbers you are using
above based on some broad analysis or study of multiple providers, or are
you deriving these numbers likewise you're your own personal observations?

Thanks,

Stefan Fouant