nanog mailing list archives

Re: Top-posting (was: Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to anAlternative? )

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>

Subject: Re: Top-posting

Of late I have started to get responses from people (not even the person
who top-posted) saying that I should f*** off and that they would post
however they wanted. Very hostile and even threatening.

I even manage to bottom post from my iPod. With cut and paste, it's
really not hard, but I guess it's just beyond the capacities of some
and somehow offensive to others.

Standard threaded (IE: not top-posted) replies have been the standard for
technical mailing lists on the net since I first joined one.

In 1983.

Anyone who has a problem with it can, in short, go bugger off.  Really.

(And like you, Keith, because my current MUA, Zimbra, is moronic, I too
have to rethread myself by hand, quite a lot of the time.  And I do it,
because -- like you -- I believe in The Commons)

Cheers,
-- jra