nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIP Justification

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:58:21 -0500

On 9/30/2010 3:32 PM, Jack Carrozzo wrote:
When was the last time you ran into a younger neteng designing his topology
who went "Yes! IS-IS!"? It works fine (very well in fact) but it's just less
used.

Which makes no sense to me. I originally looked at both and thought OSPF to be inferior to IS-IS. That being said, OSPF is supported on more (and cheaper) hardware. IS-IS can have additional licensing with some hardware (where OSPF does not) and is often considered a "service provider" protocol by vendors.

Jack