nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIP Justification

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:46:17 -0700

On Sep 30, 2010, at 6:27 AM, Jack Bates wrote:

On 9/29/2010 3:20 PM, Jesse Loggins wrote:
What are your views of when and
where the RIP protocol is useful?

Home networks when dual NAT isn't being used. It's also the perfect protocol for v6 on home networks where multiple
home routers might be connected in a variety of ways.

I have no NAT whatsoever in my home network. RIP is not at all useful in my scenario.

I have multiple routers in my home network. They use a combination of BGP and OSPFv3.

Shocked I didn't even see v6 mentioned in the thread (though you did clarify v2, which isn't the v6 implementation).
:(

If your network is of a scale where it exceeds the utility of static, then, it is almost certainly of a scale
and topology where it exceeds the utility of RIP.

Owen